The weather this week has been amazing!
My husband’s family spent the day with us so we decided it would be a perfect day for a trip to the Cider Mill!!
My dilemma: my son cannot have the donuts……
since he was a baby he has had food allergies. His main allergies are to dairy and nuts. Cider Mill donuts are made with buttermilk or whey which would mean if my son ate them he would have an allergic reaction. Since allergic reactions are different each time we wouldn’t even know if it would be a mild one or a severe one -but we won’t take that chance!
So, I decided I would try to whip up a batch of donuts that he could have one while everyone else was enjoying theirs.
The recipe turned out to be more like a cake or muffin type donut than a deep fried one, but it was still delicious!!!
Recipe for Dairy Free Donuts
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp chia gel (1 tbsp. of chia seeds mixed with 3 tbsp. of water-mix and let sit for 10 minutes-once gel has formed use 2 tsp. of the mixture)
- 3/4 cup almond or coconut milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg (optional)
- extra sugar and cinnamon for coating